The 5 2 diet is very straight forward. But there are a lot of people looking for an honest review of it. So if you’re looking to try this plan, everything you need to know about it is here.
The basic info on the 5:2 diet:
Essentially it is a plan where you eat anything you want for 5 days and “fast” for the other 2, but despite fasting carrying the “no eating” context, here, it’s actually allowed, just not much though.
This goes on for 1 week and you keep repeating this regiment until you reach your weight loss goal.
It is recommended to do the fasting days a few days apart to make it easier, but some prefer to just get it over with and do their 2 day fast consecutively. When it is said you can eat anything you want, technically it is true, but it is recommended to eat healthy foods to adopt some sort of new lifestyle and not just depend on the fasting.
It is very important that to note that during the fasting days, you can eat no more than 500 calories. This really doesn’t count as “fasting” because technically the very word means to not eat anything or abstain from particular or every food/drinks altogether. But at the same time this approach to weight loss still delivers results. Reasons why explained further below.
On the 2 fasting days, you may end up eating things such as 1 serving of fruits or a salad. Hard boiled eggs are also allowed. First timers will likely find the first 2 weeks of this difficult to maintain especially if they tend to eat a lot during the other 5 days, but it is something you can get used to.
Does it really work?
Yes. Intermittent eating and/or fasting is almost guaranteed to deliver results and not just in the weight loss department. There are also health benefits including improved stamina, mood, skin clearing up and more. I’ve done intermittent fasting and only ate once a day before. It DOES work.
But as for the 5 2 diet specifically, it works for several reasons, but the 2 most important are these:
1. The very act of fasting is a sort of procedure that helps the body cleanse itself. A lot of what people eat, especially in the western world has been proven to be unhealthy. A lot of foods people eat do not digest properly and stay in the intestines, not being able to digest, decaying and affecting overall health.
A fast helps rid the body of these sorts of things. Although you can’t completely get rid of these problems by doing the 5 2 diet for a few weeks, if you maintain this type of lifestyle, it will gradually improve overtime. If you wanted to fully cleanse the body quickly, a diet such as the Master Cleanse would be a better option.
2. You are doing what’s known as calorie shifting. It is basically a form of changing up your eating habits. In the 5 2 diet you eat a certain way for a few days, then switch to a low calorie approach to eating. This surprises your body and makes it increase metabolism and fat burning, and as long as you keep repeating this approach, you will keep the body going through the calorie shifting reaction and keeping metabolism high.
Though in the 5 2 diet, calorie shifting isn’t exactly taken to it’s full potential, it’s still contributes to the weight loss. A diet like the 2 week diet is an example of a plan which does realize the full potential of this technique.
- Flexible plan.
- You get to eat anyway you want 5 days out of the week.
- Does help provide weight loss results. Results vary though.
- Some say the book isn’t necessary to do the diet because the instructions are honestly simple.
- The fasting days can be difficult for some. One thing I can recommend is to stop eating after 6 and sleep on it, so time passes easier.
- If you have any conditions or are taking medication, consult with a doctor before trying the 5 2 diet. Fasting and extreme dieting in general is NOT recommended for anyone with medical conditions.
5:2 Diet Score
3.5 out of 5 stars. Pretty good flexible diet. It does work, but fasting may not be for everyone. See #1 rated diet.
It does get results and if you have no problems with your health or aren’t taking any medications that could be affected by this diet, then you can certainly give it a shot. If you do however have any medical issues, please consult with your doctor before trying it.
Fasting is not a new concept and it has been proven to work in the improvement of health & weight loss. Although health is the primary focus of fasting, it will automatically lead to reduced weight because it will improve overall body functions including metabolism so it’s a one thing leads to another type of approach.
There are critics of fasting, but as someone who has personally done it, I can vouch for it working wonders if you do it right. But it’s not for everyone and you should definitely do your research before trying it on your own.
Like I mentioned earlier, if you wish to truly experience the benefits of fasting, I would instead recommend the Master cleanse. It’s difficult to accomplish, but it provides a lot better/faster benefits if you can get through it.
The 5 2 diet’s results do vary, so if you’re in a hurry to lose weight, this is not the kind of diet that’ll get you there. It’s more of a long term solution. If you need fast results and flexibility, I would recommend the #1 rated diet as it possess both of these qualities.
But I’d like to hear from you. What do you think of the 5:2 diet?