Chia seeds are the new craze. They said are to not only help provide weight loss, but also massive health benefits. But is it true and do they really work or is it all hype?
Chia Seeds explained:
Chia Seeds can be found in southern Mexico. Typically they are used in combination with foods and drinks, but you can also eat them on their own. Personally if I am in a hurry, I eat a few teaspoons and it’s enough to make me feel I’ve eaten a full breakfast.
Chia seeds carry a lot of beneficial properties which is what makes the very popular. They can be used to help those looking to lose weight and provide a lot of health benefits (listed below).
- It’s a high satiety, low calorie food.
- They expand several times their size when eaten. This means you can eat less, feel fuller and lose weight.
- They help lower cholesterol.
- Excellent source of fiber. An ounce of chia seeds carries over 10 grams of fiber.
- Contain antioxidants.
- Contain omega 3’s which help with circulation.
How Chia Seeds can be used:
There are many ways you eat chia seeds. You can:
- Sprinkle them on your food. They make great additions to salads.
- You can make smoothies and sprinkle them on it.
- You can eat it in combination with drinks and pretty much any food you wish.
As for specific recipes, you may want to look at the Aztec diet which provides specific recipes on this, although you can do without it. My advice is to just add them into your current diet and see what happens.
Where to buy chia seeds?
Many places like Wal-Mart, Amazon, local stores and Costco carry them. If you live in an area where you can’t find them, you can look them up online. I’d recommend Amazon. Search for the most highly rated chia seeds.
I usually buy mine in Costco. If you live near one, you can get them there for a pretty cheap price. I purchased about 2 pounds for $11. It seems like a lot, but this is will likely last you at least half a year and I eat chia seeds more than the average person.
What to expect from chia seeds:
If you’re looking to lose weight, you can certainly try this product. I would recommend eating less of what you’re currently consuming and supplementing that difference with a teaspoon of chia seeds.
If I usually eat a 3 egg omelet for breakfast, I would change it up, eat 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon of omelet.
Usually when you eat chia seeds, you’ll likely experience:
- Fullness rather quickly. This is because chia seeds are again a high satiety food.
- You feel fuller for longer. Many foods leave you hungry after a few hours.
Chia seeds are also used by celebs. Recently Tom Arnold reported losing 90 pounds in 9 pounds after following a very strict diet and adding chia seeds to the mix. Full story.
- High satiety food.
- Carry a lot of health benefits.
- Last pretty long.
- Can be expensive depending on where you buy them from.
Chia Seeds Score:
4 out of 5 stars. Great food for weight loss/health improvement. See #1 rated diet.
Conclusions on Chia Seeds:
Whether or not you want to use them for weight loss purposes, chia seeds are still a great addition to your current lifestyle. The benefits they carry make them worth trying at least once.
I personally use chia seeds on an almost daily basis and I like them a lot. If I have no time to eat, I just eat a few spoon fulls and I’m off. Since they expand in the stomach several times, this makes me feel very full and provides me with energy.